Thursday, February 19, 2009

Living Mediocre?

I am a part of a homeschool basketball team that has been going for five years. We are the Red River Lady Rattlers, and for the second season in a row we are playing with a conference of other homeschool teams and private school teams. Today was the first day of the end of the year tournament. Along with a three point contest, a free throw contest, and a huge game of knock-out, the opening ceremony also included a great devo. It really made an impression on me...especially since it basically reiterated everything our coach has been saying all year!
The guy (wish I remembered his name) opened by asking how many of us dreamed of living a life of mediocrity. No one raised their hand. The truth is, everyone aspires of being excellent and doing great things. But how many of us actually live up to those dreams? Here's the problem that most of us face: the way to mediocrity is already paved. Not only is it paved, it's tried and true - and safe! That's why so many people end up in Mediocreville, because the way to get there is easy, and the world seems to kind of push us along in that direction.
In this devotion, we were encouraged to play during the tournament with every thing we had. "Leave it on the court," he said. (That's also my coach's favorite sayings. Now it's beginning to sink in.) It doesn't really matter who wins or loses, because in ten years, no one will care who won. But I want to be able to walk off the court at the end of the game no matter what the score is, having left every ounce of my energy, determination, and skill on the court. I want to play the upcoming games with everything I have.
But even more importantly, I want live out my Christian walk with everything I have. I don't want to live a life of mediocrity. That's what too many Christians do today, because the road is easy! Enter through the narrow gate; for the gate is wide and the way is broad that leads to destruction, and there are many who enter through it. (Matthew 7:13)
Take the hard road. Don't settle for a life of mediocrity.

2 comments:

Liberty said...

I hope you never live a life of mediocrity. Jesus came to give us life and to give it more abundantly. That is what I hope you live!
Mom

Kari said...

Oops! That last comment was from me, Mom, but it says Liberty. I don't know how to get my name on. I'll try again.
Mom