Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Going to Guatemala!


This is a picture of me last July in Jalaca, Honduras, where I experienced my first mission trip. It was one of the most, if not the most, amazing experiences of my life! Seeing the way people lived in poverty, the way children were cast out on the street as infants, the way young girls had to walk miles to obtain clean water, and so much more, truly changed me from the inside out.
It seems like we always hear the same thing from people who return from the mission field:
"I've been so ungrateful. Americans take all their privileges for granted."
Sometimes we get tired of hearing that. But it's so true, and you can't really understand how true until you've experience it for yourself. There's something about stepping out in faith and leaving your comfort zone. God's power is always revealed in exciting and unlimited ways on the mission field. I can't believe how much we miss when we bask in American luxuries!
Last summer I was in Honduras for one week. We mostly worked on the orphanage where we stayed, replacing the roof and organizing rooms inside. We got to go to a local church every night where my pastor would preach and we would share our testimonies.We also spent a lot of bonding time with the kids at the orphanage. Some of those children had been abandoned as young as two. They had learned how to pick pockets and dumpster-dive just to keep from starving! They were so loving and open to us. They trusted us with the simplicity that most kids here would never possess, even though they had much more worldly wisdom than most kids in America. I think if kids here could for one day experience the hardships that kids their ages face around the world, they'd be more appreciative of their blessings.
It was hard to leave the orphanage, the people, and the general life-style. Life may be hard in third-world countries, but it's simple and people are still happy.
Needless to say, I was hooked on mission trips. I knew I'd be going somewhere summer 2009, but where? My youth group was going to Mexico. That sounded fun. But then one day when reading Brio, (an awesome Christian magazine for teen girls) my eye fell upon an advertisement for their annual mission trip. This year they'd be going to Guatemala City, Guatemala. I'd always known about their mission trips, but for some reason this one really appealed to me. So I began what has been one of the most earnest prayer journeys I'd experienced. I prayed everyday, asking God if I should go to Mexico, or Guatemala. One night a few weeks later I had a dream. When I woke up I knew I was supposed to go to Guatemala, and nothing would stop me!
Since then we've been busy fundraising, buying plane tickets, and working out all the little details. One of the coolest things so far is that I've been able to email girls from all over the country who are also going on the trip! It's been so fun talking to other girls who are just as excited about serving God on the mission field! There are 600 people going in all. It's going to be really amazing. I can't wait to see what God will do, and I can't wait to make lots of new friends!
We've already had to hurtle a few road blocks while preparing for this trip. But God has provided everything we need so far, and I'm trusting him to continue providing as I continue to work hard!
I plan on keeping you updated. Please pray for me!
"Lord, I'll go! Send me." Isaiah 6:8

1 comment:

Miranda said...

Hey Liberty! My name is Miranda Rowenhorst. I'm going to Guatemala too. I love the blog! You can checkc out mine:
www.rowenhorst.blogspot.com or another one that I contribute to
www.guatemalamissionstrip09.blogspot.com

Have a great day!