Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Guatemala Update

I said I would keep you updated as I prepare for my mission trip to Guatemala. So I suppose I ought to announce that.....
I have all my funds needed for the trip!!!
After many months of baby-sitting, sending letters, selling raffle tickets, selling homemade salsa, and praying ever so earnestly, I have finally reached my fundraising goal and the last payment is officially in the mail. What a great feeling!
I'd like to thank everyone who has helped by hiring me, buying fundraising items, giving generous donations, and praying for me! I'm very blessed to have so many wonderful friends who are so supportive.
I know God is working in the lives of everyone going to Guatemala this summer. I also know that he's working to bless everyone who is helping us go! Here's a fun anecdote I'd like to share...
My cousin Nicki (400things) helped me raise money by making a beautiful twin-size quilt that I could sell raffle tickets for. I've been selling those raffle tickets for quite a while, and the drawing was to be held at the annual silent auction our church holds to raise money for missions and summer camp. During the auction several people were taking advantage of their last chance to buy tickets for the quilt, some buying as many as 12 tickets at a time. Then Nicki's husband came to the table and bought one ticket. "She'll be surprised if it's my ticket that wins it back for her," he said. I thought that was really sweet, but didn't think he'd win, considering how many tickets everyone else was buying. However, when it came time for the drawing, I closed my eyes and reached down to the bottom of the bowl...and who's ticket did I draw? That's right! He won the quilt back for Nicki with one little ticket. She was so excited! Now Nicki can enjoy the fruit of her hard labor, and I still raised a lot of money for the trip! Just goes to show you how God chooses to bless us, even with little things like winning your own quilt back through a raffle.
Please continue to pray for me and everyone going on this trip! Prayer is the most important thing on the mission field.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy you have your money. I am looking forward to going shopping with you now to get all the things required for the trip.
I am also happy Nicki won her quilt back.
Mama

a u b r e y said...

Hey Liberty!
That's awesome! Congrats!
Can't wait to meet you in Miami!!
Aubrey

Nicki said...

Yay! I'm so glad to have the quilt, and it all went for a great cause. I can't wait until you come back and tell us all the neat things you did on your trip. God will change your life and the lives of those you are ministering to.