Monday, March 8, 2010

Honduras

In just a few short days I will be on my way to Honduras!
A year and a half ago, I went on my first mission trip ever to Jalaca, a small town in the mountains north of Tegucigalpa, the Honduran Capital city.
First-hand exposure to a third world life-style will change you like nothing else. It changed me! I bonded with children who had been abandoned and abused as babies. I met brothers and sisters in Christ who walk miles in the mountains just for church. I lived without TV, phones, computers, my favorite foods, make-up, and even hot showers for a whole week. But it was one of the happiest weeks of my life!
Last summer God called me to go on a mission trip to Guatemala (next-door-neighbor to Honduras) with SusieMag, a Christian magazine for teen girls. The experience was different than Honduras, but life-changing nonetheless.
I will always look back on these mission trips as experiences that really changed me. But I would say the majority of the changing took place after the fact.

While in Guatemala, a speaker warned us of the struggles we'd face once back in the comforts of home. "When the feeling fades, faith begins," he said.
That phrase has got to be my favorite quote now! It's so true.
I was emotionally impacted many times throughout both mission trips. We often get caught up in the moment of those spiritual highs. But we can't rely on that to get us through life. The fire that we feel momentarily isn't enough to be "the change." The actual "change" has to go deeper than that - or it won't last.
The real test to see if you've changed comes in when you make the decision to live out your faith, even when you don't feel like it. When the high has worn off, and it's back to the old grind, will you continue to do what you know to be right, or will you take back all your bad habits that you sloughed off during the spiritual high?
Ever since I've gone to Honduras and Guatemala, I think of those trips almost daily. I'll remember something that happened, a lesson I learned, or a specific way God touched me. While His touch may have really gotten me emotionally when it actually happened, when I think of those times now, I'm able to apply them to my every day life. So even though I've been off the mission field for months, I'm continuing to grow because of a few weeks in a foreign country! This is just one reason I love mission trips, and hope to go on many more.
When the chance to return to Honduras arose, I jumped on it. This time we'll be staying at the same orphanage as before. We will be using picks and shovels to dig a ten-feet-deep septic tank. We'll also go to some local churches to encourage the brothers and sisters and share our testimonies.
I'm absolutely ecstatic about seeing all the kids at the orphanage again! I'm so ready, I can't express it.
Prayers would be greatly appreciated. I know we're going to need them.
Gloria a Dios!

4 comments:

Stephen said...

Be careful while in Honduras. Last year a US government-backed right-wing coup overthrew the democratically elected president Manuel Zelaya. Since then the coup regime has suspended constitutional rights and have been murdering resistance members and leaders. Most recently only a month ago a leader of the Workers Union for the Honduran Social Security Institute, Vanessa Yamileth Zepeda was kidnapped, tortured, and murdered in Tegucigalpa. While you are there you should talk to the locals about the coup and how they feel about the golpistas (the coup makers) and former ex-president
Manual Zelaya and about whats been going on in the country.

~Abby~ said...

I'm glad you get to go again, because I know you love going and helping people.
Um, I guess be careful, like Stephen said...
xx,
~Abby~

Liberty said...

A friend from my church was actually in Honduras last summer when all that happened. It will be interesting to see what the Hondurans think of it all.
Thanks for your concern. We will be careful, but I know we're in God's hands!

Raymond Hall said...

Liberty, this was an excellent post. I, too, am looking forward to the digging, the fellowship, and rubbing shoulders with the Honduran believers.