Sunday, August 14, 2011

Where I'm Supposed To Be

Do you ever feel like you're exactly where you're supposed to be? It's a great sensation. There are no doubts. No worries. You feel like a baseball in the glove or a basketball in the net - positioned perfectly at just the right time. That's how I feel right now.
At the beginning of high school, thoughts of college began to flood my mind. There are thousands of colleges all over the country - all over the world! I knew there had to be the perfect place just for me. But how was I ever going to find it?
Even though I hadn't found it yet, God had.  Knowing us better than anyone else, He has lovingly mapped out our  lives according to our unique dreams, passions, and capabilities. He has the perfect routes for us to travel and sights for us to see - all we have to do is follow Him.
Following God's lead is simple. He doesn't try to hide it from us - He wants us to find it! All we have to do is seek Him.
And boy, did I seek! I don't believe I've ever prayed about anything as earnestly as I prayed about where to attend college. But I didn't receive an answer right away. While following His lead may be simple, it isn't always easy - especially when He doesn't lead you according to your plans or schedule. It's tempting to get impatient because you haven't received an answer, or to give up on receiving an answer at all. However, Jesus' words in Matthew 7:7 give us hope: Ask, and God will give to you. Search, and you will find. Knock, and the door will open for you.
In the summer of 2009, I went on a mission trip to Guatemala. During that time, I received my answer. And surprisingly, it wasn't the answer I was expecting! In fact, I had thought God was leading me somewhere else. But by the time I came home, I knew God was calling me to Patrick Henry College.
When I began my college search, PHC wasn't even on my radar. A small school with only a few majors, it didn't seem to fit into any of my ambitions. God knew otherwise. And the more I learned about PHC, the more I agreed with God.
Making the decision is a significant step in the journey, but it's only the beginning of an even longer voyage. At least it was in my case. In everything from visiting the campus to completing the application, there were immense obstacles to overcome. With every difficulty, I learned to trust God more and more. And through the entire process, I've learned that God answers prayer, that God is faithful, and that God loves to help us accomplish the impossible!
When I was in Guatemala, one of my teammates gave me this verse: Let the morning bring me word of Your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in You. Show me the way I should go, for I lift up my soul...Teach me to do Your will, for You are my God; may Your good Spirit lead me on level ground. Psalm 143:8,10. I have prayed this scripture over and over, and as I sit on the brink of a new journey, I can say that God has shown me the way I should go. He has taught me to do His will, and He has led me on level ground! On Tuesday my college adventure will begin, and I know it's just the adventure God wants me to have.
Jeremiah 29:11 says, "...I know what I am planning for you," says the LORD. "I have good plans for you, not plans to hurt you. I will give you a hope and a good future." God has a perfect plan for your life. It's tremendously better than anything you could imagine! When you seek Him, He will guide you. And you'll be exactly where you're supposed to be.


2 comments:

Shelbi said...

Great post, Liberty! I'm so excited for you and am praying for you as you move away to college!

Faith Grubb said...

You have won the Versatile Bloggers Award!
Click here to find out more about the Award here: http://www.faithgrubb.com/2012/03/versatile-blogger-award.html

Thank you for working hard in the political arena for us! And also I want to tell you what a great swing dancer you are, keep it up!